Chakra Meditation Technique to Open Third Eye
Guided Meditation Technique #2
The second guided meditation technique we will explore in the Free Online Guided Meditation E-Book is a widely used and accepted method for opening, activating and balancing the mysterious and powerful Ajna Chakra (Third Eye). It is the the potent AUM Mantra meditation technique.
Video of AUM Meditation to Open Third Eye Chakra
Background of Ajna Chakra Meditation Technique (Third Eye):
The Ajna Chakra is the sixth chakra of the Kundalini Seven Chakra System. A chakra is an energy vortex which resides in a particular location of the body and governs the organs and glands of that region. A Chakra is also associated with certain traits and characteristics of the personality and forms a bridge between mind, body and spirit.
The Ajna Chakra (or Third Eye) eye lies at the very top of spine in the medulla oblongata. It relates to the pituitary gland, the pineal gland, the nasociliary nerve plexus and frontal lobes of the brain.
Chakra Meditation means to activate and balance a particular chakra, thus improving the functioning of everything in that particular region as well as refining the associated personality traits and characteristics. In some cases psychic powers associated with a particular chakra are also unleashed.
Ajna Chakra literally mean “To Command”. This chakra is also called the “Third Eye” as it’s activation gives one the power of intuitive knowledge. In addition, it is called the “Guru Chakra” as its activation connects one to the “Inner Guru”. Similarly, it is also called “Eye of Shiva” or “The Divine Eye” for it’s awakening implies the higher stages of meditation and wisdom.
Each chakra can be activated by several means. In this guided meditation we will use the physical trigger point of the chakra (kshetram) as a point of concentration to activate it. In addition, each chakra is associated with a particular seed sound (Beej Mantra) which can be utilized to awaken it. For the Ajan Chakra the Beej Mantra is the primordial sound “OM” (AUM) and this guided meditation will be using that as well.
Tools required for Ajna Chakra Meditation Technique (Third Eye):
- An alarm clock, stop watch or other time device.
Benefits of Ajna Chakra Meditation Technique (Third Eye):
- Builds the power of intuition.
- Bestows and increases Psychic Powers.
- Increases and refines awareness.
- Provides clarity of thought, insights and wisdom.
- Allows one to connect to the “inner guru” or “higher self” for guidance and inspiration.
- Builds the Yogic Mind or Neutral Mind which is free from attachments of the ego.
- Build the power to read others and detect their subtle and gross energetic conditions.
- Promotes flow of Kundalini Energy into the higher centers.
- Promotes the ability to have Lucid Dreams.
- Allows for non-verbal communication.
- Builds focus and one pointedness of the mind.
- Improves your vision.
- Promotes health and wellbeing.
Cautions for Practicing Ajna Chakra Meditation Technique (Third Eye):
Do not strain when holding shambhavi yoga mudra (detailed below).
Guided Ajna Chakra Meditation Technique (Third Eye):
Follow the step by step guided meditation below to practice this technique:
- Sit in a comfortable cross legged position. You may also sit on a chair or lean against a wall for this meditation.
- Set your alarm or other time device for 20 minutes.
- Elongate your spine upwards, lengthen your neck and subtly bring your chin back and in, like a soldier at attention. This will align the spine with the back of your head.
- Take 5 deep, slow breaths though the nose. This will oxygenate your blood and relax you.
- Keeping the head straight look up at an imaginary point in the middle of your forehead, just above the eyebrows. This eye position is called shambhavi yoga mudra. Close your eyes while holding this mudra. Do not strain excessively.
- Rest your hands in any comfortable position, you can place them on your knees.
- Try to remain as still as possible.
- Now inhale deeply and begin to chant in a soft, slow, steady voice the manta OM (pronounced AUM). One chant of OM (AUM) Mantra should last for the entire exhalation. Its a long “Oh”, followed by a semi long “Mmmm” during each exhalation. Once all the air has been expelled, inhale fully again and begin to chant the mantra once more. Visualize the OM sound coming from a point in the middle of the forehead just above the eyebrows and emanating throughout your entire body.
- Continue for the duration of the meditation. If your eyes tire from shambhavi yoga mudra release the mudra but continue to chant the OM (AUM) mantra as above. Reapply the mudra again when ready.
- Once you have completed the meditation, rub the palms of your hands together to make them warm and place them on your eyes as you open them slowly. This will relax and comfort your eye muscles.
Hints and Tips for Ajna Chakra Meditation Technique (Third Eye):
- There are many variations to OM (AUM) Mantra chanting for the activation of Ajna Chakra. I will provide a variation that only requires silently chanting OM Mantra and therefore can be practiced almost anywhere. Follow all steps from the guided meditation above except instead of chanting OM (AUM) Mantra out loud, as you inhale chant “Oh” silently, while visualizing the sound flowing into Ajna Chakra from your forehead and then silently chant “Mmmm” as you exhale, visualizing the sound leaving your forehead from Ajna Chakra. The rest is the same as the guided meditation above.
Secret of Ajna Chakra Meditation Technique (Third Eye):
Many women today are actually practicing Ajna Chakra Meditation without even knowing it. This is resulting from the tradition of wearing a bindi. A bindi is the colorful decorative dot placed in the middle of the forehead and was designed originally to provide continual stimulation to Ajna Chakra by way of its Kshetram (physical trigger point). So next time you wear a bindi, remember that not only does it look oh so fine, but it is also raising your level of awareness and consciousness – not bad for a dot.
Internet Resources for Ajna Chakra Guided Meditation
Article has been featured in the Carnival of Healing. Head on over to the Wisdom of Healing website to read it and other great stuff on Healing.
Article has been featured in the Meditation, Yoga and Spiritual Growth Carnival. Head on over to the Be Conscious Now website to read it and other great stuff on spirituality.
Article has been featured in the Carnival of Creative Growth. Head on over to the Energies of Creation website to read it and other great stuff on personal development and creative growth.
Article Series - Online Book of Guided Meditation Techniques
- Free Online Guided Meditation Techniques E-Book
- Zen Meditation Technique - Practice & Hidded Secret - Free Guided Meditation
- Sound Awareness Meditation Technique - Free Guided Meditation Book for Daily Practice - Ch 2
- Opening Third Eye (Ajna) Chakra Meditation Technique for Psychic Powers
- So Hum Mantra Meditation Technique: Free Guided Meditation Book for Daily Practice
- Prosperity & Infinite Energy Meditation Technique - Free Guided Meditation Book for Daily Practice - Ch 5
- Weight Loss Visualization Meditation w/ 3SRB Breathing Technique- Guided Meditation Book- Ch 6
- Relaxation Meditation Technique for Immediate Stress Reduction
- Meditation for Improving Concentration
- Kundalini Yoga Meditation for Healing & Psychic Powers
- Powerful Chakra Meditation to Open Third Eye
- Rare Crown Chakra Meditation Technique
- Meditation Techniques - The Ultimate Guide
- Smiling Buddha Meditation for Happiness & Confidence
- Powerful Meditation for Making Money & Success
- Kundalini Yoga's Highest Mantra Meditation
- Beautiful Light Meditation for Developing Intuition, Joy and Creativity
- How to Do Advanced Jyana Yoga Meditation Videos | Silent Mind Meditation
- Meditation Technique Guranteed to Cure Insomnia
- A Beginner's Guide To Walking Meditation
- Potent Serpent Meditation for Awakening Kundalini Shakti
- How To Master Walking Meditation
- The Best Jnana Yoga Mantra Meditation
- Mindfulness Meditation for Beginners - Part 1
- 50 Excellent Mindfulness Meditation Tips and Techniques - Part 2
- Powerful Gayatri Mantra Meditation Video to Open Third Eye