Site Search Tags: meditation, guided meditation, meditation technique, free online meditation book, daily meditation, mantra, mantra meditation, japa meditation, so hum, sohum, soham, hamsa, yoga meditation, meditation for relaxation, healing meditation, meditation for enlightenment, samadhi
So Hum Mantra Meditation Technique
Guided Meditation Technique #4: So Hum Mantra
Background of So Hum Mantra Meditation Technique:
The simple, yet profound, So Hum Meditation technique is probably one of the most popular Mantra Meditations. It emerges from the Yoga school of Hindu Philosophy and belongs in the category of Japa Meditations (Meditations that require the chanting of Mantras).
The So Hum (aka So Ham, Soham or Sohum) Mantra Meditation, done sincerely, is very effective in bringing about a complete transformation of individual consciousness. So Hum literally means "I am That" (So = "That" or "Thou" or "Divinity"; Hum = "I am") and the mantra’s aim is to bring about this union (yoga) between your individual consciousness and Divine Consciousness. Another way to interpret this purpose, is that the meditation brings about the realization that all that you see is yourself — The Observer is the Observed.
So Hum Mantra Meditation Video
YouTube Direct Link –> Best Mantra Meditation Technique – SO HUM
Tools Required for So Hum Mantra Meditation Technique:
- An alarm clock, stop watch or other time device
- Or you can use a traditional bead necklace (Mala) to count repetitions if you prefer.
Benefits of So Hum Mantra Meditation Technique:
- Realization of your Divine Nature.
- Realization of the non-dual Nature of Reality.
- Stress Reduction, Relaxation, Peace and Tranquility.
- Spontaneous Joy and Happiness.
- Promotes Self-Healing.
- Builds mental focus and concentration.
So Hum Mantra Meditation Technique Cautions:
Guided So Hum Mantra Meditation Technique:
Follow the step by step guided meditation below to practice this technique.
- Sit in a comfortable cross legged position. You may also sit on a chair or lie on your back to practice this meditation.
- Set your alarm or other time device for 10 to 20 minutes. If using a Mala do an appropriate count (for a traditional 108 bead mala its about 1 full cycle through the mala)
- If sitting, elongate your spine upwards, lengthen your neck and subtly bring your chin back and in, like a soldier at attention. This will align the spine with the back of your head.
- Place your hands in Gyan Mudra (Gesture of Knowledge). Which is thumb and index finger lightly meeting, wrists resting gently on the knees and palms facing upward. The other 3 fingers are extended.
- Take 5 deep, slow breaths though the nose. This will oxygenate your blood and relax you.
- Try to remain as still as possible.
- Now inhale slowly while saying the sound "Soooooooo" mentally and then slowly exhale while silently saying the sound "Hummmmmm".
- After spending about half the time in meditation as described above, start with every cycle to feel your awareness expanding and merging with the Universe Consciousness. So as you continue to chant silently the mantra in rhythm with your breath, feel its real meaning acting upon you.
- Continue for the duration of the meditation.
- As the end of the meditation, try to remain with the all inclusive awareness and the sense that all is included in you.
So Hum Mantra Meditation Technique Tips:
- Another way to practice the So Hum Mantra Meditation is to visualize life, light and Divine energy flowing into you when you inhale and mentally say "Soooooo" and to feel your ego-centric limited consciousness flow out and evaporate into the atmosphere as you exhale and mentally say "Hummmmm". This variation is also consistent with the meaning of the Mantra.
- At you develop this practice increase the exhalation phase such that it grows to about two times the inhalation phase.
Secret of So Hum Mantra Meditation Technique:
Where did this Mantra come from? That is the secret of this Mantra. It is actually the sound of the breath during inhalation and exhalation. Inhalation sounds like "Soooooo", while exhalation sounds like "Hummmmm". So this is the music of life and by practicing this meditation we can learn to dance in tune with it.
Other Yoga & Meditation Sites with Helpful Techniques:
Internet Resources for So Hum Guided Mantra Meditation Technique:
Definition of Mantra in Wikipedia.
Article Series - Online Book of Guided Meditation Techniques
- Free Online Guided Meditation Techniques E-Book
- Zen Meditation Technique - Practice & Hidded Secret - Free Guided Meditation
- Sound Awareness Meditation Technique - Free Guided Meditation Book for Daily Practice - Ch 2
- Opening Third Eye (Ajna) Chakra Meditation Technique for Psychic Powers
- So Hum Mantra Meditation Technique: Free Guided Meditation Book for Daily Practice
- Prosperity & Infinite Energy Meditation Technique - Free Guided Meditation Book for Daily Practice - Ch 5
- Weight Loss Visualization Meditation w/ 3SRB Breathing Technique- Guided Meditation Book- Ch 6
- Relaxation Meditation Technique for Immediate Stress Reduction
- Meditation for Improving Concentration
- Kundalini Yoga Meditation for Healing & Psychic Powers
- Powerful Chakra Meditation to Open Third Eye
- Rare Crown Chakra Meditation Technique
- Meditation Techniques - The Ultimate Guide
- Smiling Buddha Meditation for Happiness & Confidence
- Powerful Meditation for Making Money & Success
- Kundalini Yoga's Highest Mantra Meditation
- Beautiful Light Meditation for Developing Intuition, Joy and Creativity
- How to Do Advanced Jyana Yoga Meditation Videos | Silent Mind Meditation
- Meditation Technique Guranteed to Cure Insomnia
- A Beginner's Guide To Walking Meditation
- Potent Serpent Meditation for Awakening Kundalini Shakti
- How To Master Walking Meditation
- The Best Jnana Yoga Mantra Meditation
- Mindfulness Meditation for Beginners - Part 1
- 50 Excellent Mindfulness Meditation Tips and Techniques - Part 2
- Powerful Gayatri Mantra Meditation Video to Open Third Eye