Summary: Continuing with the series on how to make babies the right way, this article goes into the process in greater detail. It discusses the right diet for the woman and man to follow in order to create exceptional children.
How to Make a Baby the Right Way – Ayurvedic Diet & Nutrition
In the ever popular article How to Make a Baby the Right Way – With Illustrations, I went into details on the sacrament of conception – the Garbhaadhaan Sanskar. The purpose of this sacrament is to help you produce exceptional children, who will grow up to be exceptional human beings.
That article gave an overview of the process we followed to create our two little ones. In this article, I will start to provide some detail around this process, and specifically detail around what is the right diet to follow, prior to attempting procreation.
Right Diet for Both Parents to Follow:
There are dietary guidelines guidelines that apply to both parents, and then there are specific requirements for the future mother and father independently. Let’s talk about the common dietary requirements first.
According to Ayurveda, the science of self-healing, food is divided into 3 categories. Sattvic, Rajasic and Tamsic foods. In brief, sattvic foods are fresh, light and nutritious; rajasic foods energetic and agitating; tamasic foods are heavy, dull and stale foods. The parents to be, should follow a sattvic diet for 1-3 months at least, prior to attempting conception.
Here is a good list of Sattvic foods:
- Fruits (pears, peaches, mango, figs, coconut)
- Grains (white rice, preferably basmati rice, although long grain is fine too)
- Vegetables (lettuce, sprouts, sweet potato, squash, parsley)
- Beans (lentils, lime, kidney)
- Dairy (milk, yogurt)
- Meat (avoid if possible, else have fish, seafood and chicken in moderation)
- No intoxicants
Right Diet for Women to Prepare for Conception:
According to Ayurveda and the Garbh Sanskar, it’s best for a woman looking to get pregnant to be lean and slim. I know this is easier said than done for many :-), but use the motivation of producing exceptional children to help you towards this goal.
The ayurvedic sattvic diet will certainly go a long way in helping you prepare a slim, trim and healthy body, but in addition the woman should make the following dietary modifications.
- Replace ghee (which is sattvic) with oil instead. Either coconut, sesame or mustard is fine.
- Have a small quantity of barley with milk.
- Less carbohydrates and fat, and more protein.
Right Diet for Men to Prepare for Conception:
Again according to the sacrament of conception and ayurveda, in order to produce good progeny, the man should be pure, strong and robust. The sattvic diet should therefore be adjusted as follows for men.
- Milk, ghee and rice should be enjoyed in greater quantities.
- Add more nuts to the diet, especially almonds.
Parenthood is indeed a blessing, but with it comes the responsibility of helping bring forth wonderful human beings. This, as we have now discussed, starts even before conception takes place. A good way to look at this, is that if you are a wonderful person, strong, healthy and pure, the chances are, you will attract the same into your life, in the form of healthy and exceptional children.
Follow the ayurvedic dietary guidelines given above, it will help you create a great body, capable of creating terrific little bodies, who then become terrific big bodies in time.
In the next part of this series we will go into details of what yoga exercises should be done to prepare the female body for pregnancy and childbirth.
Article Series - How to Make & Raise an Exceptional Baby Series
- How to Make a Baby the Right Way- With Illustrations!
- How to Make a Baby the Right Way - Ayurvedic Diet & Nutrition
- Parenting Help and Advise | 3 Most Important Parenting Goals
- 4 Key Parenting Skills for Raising Extraordinary Children