Kundalini Yoga Asana for Meditation
Hatha Yoga Asana for Everyday Practice
Yoga Butterfly Asana (pose), just like Hatha Yoga Back Stretching Pose, is recommended by kundalini yoga as an exercise that should be an integral part of your daily yoga practice. As this pose is part of both hatha yoga and kundalini yoga, it is part of both e-books, Free Online Hatha Yoga Poses Galleries and the Free Illustrated Kundalini Yoga Poses E-Book.
Butterfly Pose, or Pooran Titali Asana, is how I always start my yoga practice. I remember doing this pose way back in high school during tennis warm-ups. I liked it back then and I still like it now.
This asana not only works to raise the frequency of your sexual energy, so that it can be used to enrich the higher centers, but it also promotes flexibility in the all important groin region and hips. Us marathon meditators, understand well the importance of flexibility in these regions, as that helps us sit for long periods of time. In fact, if there was one asana I was asked to recommend to help yogis sit in meditation, it would be Pooran Titali Asana.
Below you will find some illustrations of this simple yoga asana. I have shown two variations for the hand position and there are also two variations of how this stretch can be done, which I discuss in the practice section below.
Butterfly Yoga Asana for Meditation
Picture of Pooran Titali Asana 1
Picture of Yoga Butterfly Asana 2
Yoga Butterfly Asana for Meditation:
a. Step-by-Step Instructions for Butterfly Asana:
- Sit up straight and bring the soles of your feet together in front of you.
- Wrap your fingers around your toes (illustration #1) and gently pull your heels in towards your groin.
- Keeping your back straight, lean forward from the waist as far as comfortable.
- You should feel a good stretch in your groin region.
- Use your elbows as levers to push down on your calves or inner thighs.
- You may do this stretch with the Breath of Fire or with Long Deep Breathing.
b. Duration for Butterfly Asana:
- 1 – 5 minutes.
c. Benefits of Butterfly Asana:
- Excellent yoga asana to improve the flexibility in the groin and hips region. Both important regions for helping to sit in meditation.
- This asana transmutes sexual energy into higher frequencies, allowing it to be used to nourish and heal the higher chakra points. For more information on chakras you can read Kundalini Seven Chakra System Overview).
d. Practice Tips for Butterfly Asana:
- A hand position variation you can use for this asana is shown in illustration #2. Here I wrap my hands around my ankles instead. This technique can sometimes provide a more intense stretch. Also, notice in illustration #2, how I am using my elbows to accentuate the stretch by pressing down on my inner thighs.
- Another variation to how this asana can be practiced, is by bouncing your knees gently (like a butterfly flapping it’s wings), instead of holding the stretch steadily. In this variation, make sure you don’t force the legs too much. To assist in this variation you can also hold your knees and press down gently on the downward stroke. This technique, helps open up the hips more.
- As the end of this asana, you can inhale deeply, hold your breath and apply root lock (or mula bandha) to help redirect the energy back into the spinal cord. Root lock is described in the following article: Raja Yoga Set for Awakening Kundalini Shakti.
Online Kundalini Yoga Kriyas Using Butterfly Asana:
Article Series - Free Online Illustrated Kundalini Yoga Poses & Exercises
- Free Online Illustrated Kundalini Yoga Poses & Exercises E-Book
- Illustrated Kundalini Yoga Stretch Pose for Core Abdominal Power
- Illustrated Kundalini Yoga Eagle Pose for Powerful Aura
- Illustrated Yoga Archer Pose for Building Confidence and Self-Esteem
- Illustrated Kundalini Yoga Camel Pose for Optimal Health and Wellbeing
- Kundalini Yoga Chair Pose for Sexual Health
- Root Chakra Cleansing via Kundalini Yoga Crow Pose
- Terrific Yoga Cobra Pose for Healthy Back & More
- Kundalini Yoga Frog Pose for Eternally Toned Legs
- Best Yoga Asana for Meditation
- Beginner's Kundalini Yoga Exercise for Emotional Health
- Kundalini Yoga Exercise for Overcoming Deep Seated Fears
- Kundalini Yoga Jesus Pose for Inner Strength & Sacrifice
- Basic Yoga Poses for Balance
- Powerful Yoga to Cleanse & Detox Your Body
- Yoga Plank Pose for Arms & Upper Body Strength
- Excellent Kundalini Yoga Exercise to Improve Flexibility, Reproduction & Digestion
- Best Relaxation Technique & Stress Relief Exercise
- Tantra Yoga Practice | Tantric Yoga Technique for Sexual Mastery
- Simple Yoga for Upper Body Training
- Tough Power Yoga Pose - Not for Beginners
- Best Yoga Exercise to Get Firm Toned Abs
- Yoga Exercise to Tone Thighs and Buttocks
- Lower Back Exercise - Yoga Spinal Twists
- Yogic Technique to Power and Cleanse Your Aura
- Advanced Tantric Yoga Exercise Video | Triple Lock
- White Tantra Yoga Position for Sexual Potency
- Excellent Kundalini Yoga Shoulder Exercise
- Anger Management Quick Fix Yoga Technique
- Dynamic Yoga Situps for a Fast Ab Workout
- More Free Yoga Postures | Yoga Bridge Pose for Strengthening Back
- Pure Yoga Technique to Train Abs
- Powerful Yoga Ab Crunches to Get Toned Six Pack Abs
- Terrific Post Natal Yoga Exercise for Weight Loss and Toning
- Excellent Thigh Workout from Yoga
- More Easy Yoga Exercises - Simple Yoga Twists