Yoga Ab Exercises to Shape Stomach
Yoga Ab Workout
Previously on Mastery of Meditation & Yoga, I had provided the powerful Core Abdominal Power Yoga Set to help you tone and build your abdominal muscles, but when it comes to strengthening and toning muscles it is good to hit the same muscle group with a variety of exercises and workouts. This is simply because muscles adapt to certain exercises over time, and so targeting them with new workouts is needed to help stimulate their development.
Ab exercises are a must for any starting Kundalini Yogi, as building that center gives you, not only a flat firm stomach, but also the energy and willpower you need in order to develop a long-term consistent yoga practice.
This particular set is excellent to include into any yoga or fitness routine and consists of the ab exercises I do in my yoga classes to help the students tone and shape their stomach muscles.
The Yoga Ab Exercises & Workout Set will be the 10th set in our Free Online Kundalini Yoga Set E-Book.
Benefits of Yoga Ab Exercises & Workout
- Tone & Shape Ab Muscles: Each exercise and the workout as a whole is designed to a help tone and strengthen your abdominal muscles. Overall, it works to shape your stomach and midsection.
- Build Energy & Core Strength: Developing the stomach muscles and strengthening your core, is key to increasing your levels of energy and health. This will also help prevent injuries and back problems.
- Build Willpower & Character: The abdominal region is the seat of the Navel Chakra (Manipura Chakra). This center is responsible for your willpower and strength of character, and working on this area activates and balances this key chakra.
- Helps Digestion and Elimination: The important organs of digestion and elimination reside in the stomach region, which get massaged and rejuvenated by the focused attention that this workout puts in this area.
Yoga Ab Exercises & Workout Practice Details
Please read the following documents to help guide you in practicing the Yoga Ab Exercises & Workout Set:
Remember the golden rule is please do not overdo anything. Back off if you feel uncomfortable or dizzy. Use common sense when it comes to injuries and work around them whenever necessary. Take a short break between each of the exercises below, during which just do long deep breathing while lying on your back (corpse pose).
Yoga Ab Exercises & Workout for Stomach Shaping
1. Yoga Single Leg Lifts:
Illustration #1: Yoga Ab Single Leg Lifts – Starting Position
Illustration #2: Yoga Ab Single Leg Lifts – Left Leg Up
Illustration #3: Yoga Ab Single Leg Lifts – Right Leg Up
For this exercise lie on your back with your palms underneath your buttocks, to support your lower back, as shown in Illustration #1. Then lift your left leg up to 90 degrees and then back down (Illustration #2). Follow that by lifting your right leg to 90 degrees and then down (Illustration #3). Repeat with left leg and continue on. You will feel your abdominal muscles working to raise each leg.
Inhale as leg goes up, exhale down.
1- 3 minutes.
2. Yoga Double Leg Lifts:
Illustration #4 – Yoga Ab Double Leg Life – Starting Position
Illustration #5 – Yoga Ab Double Leg Lifts – Ending Position
For this exercise remain on your back with your palms underneath your buttocks, to support your lower back. But now lift both legs smoothly up to 90 degree and then back down. Try to keep your knees straight and keep the motion controlled and smooth (illustration #5). This exercise work your ab muscles much harder than the single leg lifts, so be ready.
Make sure to take a break between exercises to let the abdominal muscles recover a little before moving on.
Inhale as legs goes up, exhale down.
1- 3 minutes.
3. Yoga Criss-Cross Legs:
Illustration #6 – Yoga Ab Criss Cross Legs
Illustration #7 – Yoga Ab Criss Cross Legs
Again for this exercise remain on your back with your palms underneath your buttocks, to support your lower back. Now lift both legs up about 12-18 inches off the floor and have your toes pointing forward. Now begin to criss-cross your legs at ankle level rapidly (Illustrations 6 & 7). At first one leg will be on top, and then when you cross back have the other leg be on top.
This exercise will give the side ab muscles (obleques) a workout,and is excellent for shaping your stomach region.
Do the Breath of Fire Breathing Exercise as you criss-cross your legs.
1- 3 minutes.
4. Yoga Piston Legs:
Illustration #8 – Yoga Ab Piston Legs
Illustration #9 – Yoga Ab Piston Legs
Remain on your back with your palms underneath your buttocks, to support your lower back. Again lift both legs up about 12-18 inches off the floor and have your toes pointing forward. Now begin to piston your legs back and forth rapidly (Illustrations 8 & 9). As one leg bends in (knee coming towards the chest), the other goes straight out and the motions reverse.
Be sure to not bicycle the legs, the legs should move parallel to the floor for this exercise. This exercise will ensure that if any parts of your stomach muscles were left out of the workout, that they get a chance to now participate .
Breath out as you fire each leg out.
1- 5 minutes.
5. Add Stretch Pose or Boat Post (Optional).
The above 4 ab exercises provide a great workout to tone and shape your stomach, but if you feel ready to take it to the next level, then add Kundalini Yoga Stretch Pose to this set. If you feel really strong and would like to set the bar even higher, then add Kundalini Yoga Boat Pose to enhance this set further. You will find me demonstrating Yoga Boat Pose in the Core Abdominal Power Yoga Set Video and description also in that article.
Illustration #10 – Kundalini Yoga Stretch Pose
Make sure you rest adequately after doing this set, to allow the body to assimilate all the good energy you have awakened by doing this set.
As I mentioned earlier, if you are new to Yoga practice, ab exercises are a must. The Third Chakra is an excellent center to develop early in your practice and according to Kundalini Yoga abdominal work should be done everyday. And anyway, who does not want a nice flat stomach with toned, shapely abs .
Article Series - Free Online Book of Kundalini Yoga Poses, Exercises & Kriyas
- Free Online Kundalini Yoga Kriyas E-Book
- Spinal Warmup Yoga Exercises - Free Book of Kundalini Yoga Poses & Kriyas - Ch 1
- Yoga Positions for Beginners for Daily Morning Practice - Kundalini Yoga Morning Wakeup Series
- Core Abdominal Power Yoga Exercises - Free Book of Kundalini Yoga Poses & Kriyas - Ch 3
- Heart Chakra Balancing Set: Free Book of Kundalini Yoga Poses & Kriyas
- Kundalini Awakening Raja Yoga Set: Free Book of Kundalini Yoga Poses & Kriyas
- Online Yoga Exercises for Healthy Weight Loss - Book of Kundalini Yoga Poses and Kriyas
- Fountain of Youth Yoga Set
- Yoga Exercises for Eye Problems and Eye Care
- Ultimate Tantra Yoga Technique to Raise Sexual Energy - Sat Kriya
- Terrific Yoga Ab Exercises & Workout for Toned Stomach
- Yoga Positions for Beginners | Basic Yoga Poses
- Effective Seven Chakra Healing Kundalini Yoga Set
- Yoga Exercises for Men's Sexual Health
- Yoga for Full Body Fitness
- Anger Management with Yoga Therapy
- Basic Yoga Poses for Weight Loss - Part 2
- Best Yoga for Weight Loss - Complete with Illustrated Yoga Poses and Exercises
- Simple Senior Yoga Exercises - 91 Year Old Yoga Teacher Video
- Best Morning Yoga Stretching Poses - Surya Namaskar