Yoga for High Blood Pressure
Natural Technique to Reduce Blood Pressure
Free Online Video of Seetkari Yoga Pranayama
Seetkari Yoga Pranayama to Reduce Blood Pressure and More:
Blood pressure can be influenced a great deal by many natural methods and therapies. One such natural way to combat high blood pressure is by the practice of certain Yoga Breathing Exercises (Pranayamas). Of the many yoga breathing exercises the ones that are calming and cooling in nature are good for lowering blood pressure, and of those, Seetkari Pranayama is one of the best.
Although lowering blood pressure is one of the benefits of this wonderful technique, Seetkari pranayama bestows many other important benefits as well. You will find those enumerated in the benefits section below.
This breathing exercise is very easy to learn and practice and it will become part of our ongoing Free Online Yoga Pranayamas E-book here on Mastery of Meditation and Yoga. Also, a video demonstration of this technique is planned and I will upload that here once it is ready. Before practicing any yoga or fitness routine please make sure you are medically cleared to do so. Also, please follow the guidelines for yoga breathing as I have explained in the following article, Beginner’s Guide to Yoga Breathing Exercises and read our Legal Disclaimer.
The science behind many of these natural breathing techniques actually extend from Ayurveda, which is the ancient Indian science of health and longevity. You can get more information regarding Ayurveda in the following article, Introducing Ayurveda – Alternative Medicine for Self Healing, and also Ayurvedic dietary principles and natural therapies can be excellent to help you fight high blood pressure further.
Seetkari pranayama is closely related to Sheetali Pranayama and both bestow many of the same benefits, including lowering blood pressure, so please feel free to try Sheetali Pranayama as well to see if it suits you better. You will find details of this technique in the following article, Sheetali Yoga Breathing Exercise for Reducing Stress.
Below are the details of Seetkari Yoga Pranayama to help lower blood pressure and more.
Benefits of Seetkari Yoga Pranayama:
Benefits of Seetkari Yoga Pranayama:
- Helps Reduce Blood Pressure.
- Cools the mental, physical and emotional systems and reduces internal heat (pitta).
- Reduces stress and creates a sense of tranquility and peace.
- Helps fight insomnia.
- Reduces anger and irritation.
- Reduces fever.
- Combats other Pitta related disturbances such as acidity, burning eyes, heat rash etc.
Cautions for Seetkari Yoga Pranayama:
There are not many cautions for practicing Seetkari Pranayama. Since it’s a cooling breath it will increase Kapha (mucus) so don’t practice it if you have cold and respiratory related issues. See the Introduction to Ayurveda article above for more information on this.
Instructions for Seetkari Yoga Breathing Exercise:
To practice Seetkari pranayama sit up in a comfortable position, you can sit cross legged or on a chair if needed.
- Elongate your spine upwards, lengthen your neck and subtly bring your chin back and in like a soldier at attention. This will align the spine with the back of your head.
- Close your eyes and place your hands on your knees.
- Take 5 long deep breaths through the nose to relax and calm you. Your blood pressure should already start dropping .
- Now bring your teeth together lightly and pull the lips back. Your teeth should now be exposed.
- Now simply inhale slowly and deeply allowing the air to pass through your teeth. The air passing through the teeth should make a hissing sound.
- To exhale, close your mouth and exhale slowly and completely through the nose. This completes 1 round.
- Do 10 repetitions to start with and then over time you can build up to 50 repetitions.
Seetkari Yoga Pranayama to Reduce Blood Pressure Summary:
As I mentioned above the cooling or calming yogic breathing exercises are excellent natural ways for lowering blood pressure. In addition to Sheetali Pranayama another breathing technique that has been know to be very effective for reducing high blood pressure is Anuloma Viloma Pranayama, and you will find the details for this technique in the article, Chakra Balancing Breathing Exercise – Anuloma Viloma. This technique is really one of the best yoga breathing exercises and whether or not you have high blood pressure, it is a must do everyday exercise for overall personal and spiritual growth.
Article Series - Yoga Pranayamas, Breath Control and Breathing Exercises
- Free Online Yoga Breathing Exercises (Yoga Pranayama) E-Book
- Breath Control & Yoga Pranayama Book - Breath of Fire Breathing Exercise - Ch 1
- Chakra Balancing Breathing Exercise - Breath Control & Yoga Pranayama Book
- Powerful 4 Part Deep Breathing Exercise for Vitality - Free Online Yoga Pranayama Book - Ch 3
- Bhastrika Yoga Breathing Exercise to Burn Fat for Natural Weight Loss & More
- Kapalbhati Yoga Breathing Exercise for Optimum Health & Healing- Free Online Pranayama Book- Ch 5
- Sheetali Pranayama Breathing Exercise for Stress & Anger Management
- Beginner's Guide to Yoga Breathing Exercises (Pranayama)
- Potent Yoga Breathing Exercise to Increase Energy & Treat Depression
- Advanced Kundalini Yoga Technique to Awaken Kundalini
- Yoga Breathing Technique to Feel Great, Sleep Better & Live Longer
- Supreme Yogic Breath for Brain Development & Mind Control
- Natural Way to Lower Blood Pressure | Seetkari Yoga Breathing Exercise
- Yogic Breathing Technique | Simple Yoga Breathing for Amazing Results
- Deep Relaxation with Yoga Breathing Exercise | Bhramari Pranayama
- Basic Yoga Technique to Start Your Yoga Routine
- 3 Powerful Yogic Breathing Exercises for Energy