Third Eye Chakra Meditation Technique
Charka Meditation from Kundalini Yoga
Third Eye Chakra Meditation Technique Background
One of the best chakra meditation techniques is of course the traditional AUM Mantra Meditation to Open the Third Eye, and in this article I am going to give another great chakra meditation technique for opening the all important Third Eye which comes directly from the school of Kundalini Yoga.
Opening and balancing the Third Eye Chakra (Ajna Chakra) is a key step in one’s spiritual evolution, as the Third Eye is the seat of intuition, and having this center functioning optimally gives one access to the guidance of the Inner Guru. To learn more about the chakras you can read the article, Kundalini Yoga Seven Chakra System Overview.
This particular chakra meditation technique uses many different facets of Kundalini Yoga technology to accomplish it’s goals. It uses the power of Yoga Breathing (Pranayama), Yoga Mudras (Eye and Hand Positions), Yoga Numerology, Visualization and the power of Concentration Meditation to activate and open the Third Eye Chakra.
Briefly, the Third Eye chakra is located in the center of the brain and can be stimulated by concentrating on center of the forehead, in between the eyebrows. As mentioned above, the Third Eye Chakra is responsible for intuition and controls the function of the eyes and perception. It is related to the number 16, and AUM is the seed sound for it. Another article which explores chakra meditation techniques, which might interest you, is the following: Top 3 Chakra Meditation Techniques.
This Third Eye Chakra Meditation Technique is the 10th meditation in our Free Online Guided Meditation Techniques E-Book.
Lord Shiva Third Eye Meditation Video
DIRECT YOUTUBE LINK –> LORD SHIVA MEDITATION TO OPEN THIRD EYE
Benefits of Third Eye Chakra Meditation Technique:
- Opens the Third Eye Chakra, building intuition and insight.
- Builds mental fortitude, mental focus and willpower.
- Calms the mind and bestows inner peace and silence.
- Promotes the acquisition of Psychic Powers.
- Helps penetrate the veil of duality and see the non-dual nature of Reality.
- Improves the visual system.
- Improves the respiratory system.
Cautions for Practicing Third Eye Chakra Meditation Technique:
- Initially this technique is certainly challenging to do. It will take some commitment as well as willpower on your part in order to master it, so be patient.
- If you use the additional emphasis on opening the Third Chakra by holding Shambhavi Mudra (explained below), make sure you are not straining your eyes excessively when doing so.
Third Eye Chakra Meditation Technique Illustration
Instructions for Practicing Third Eye Chakra Meditation Technique:
- As per the illustration above, sit up on your heels in rock pose, raise your arms straight out to the sides at a sixty degree angle and have your hands bent at the wrist pointing outwards as shown. If rock pose is difficult for you, you may also sit in sukh asana (simple cross legged) or even on a chair for this meditation if you like.
- Gather all your attention and focus on the center of your forehead, right between the eyebrows. You may feel a slight pressure, or other such sensation building there as you practice this meditation.
- Now comes the hard part :-D. Start to inhale in sixteen parts and exhale in sixteen parts. This means that sixteen tiny sniffs will be used to make one inhalation and sixteen tiny sniffs will be used to make the following exhalation. Continue this breathing pattern for the duration of the meditation. If sixteen sniffs is too many, start with eight and build up from there. escortinticino.ch
- With every sniff visualize a tiny silver hammer tapping the center of the forehead. So 16 taps during the inhalation and 16 taps during the exhalation.
- Start with 1 minute, build up to 3 and then onto 11 mins. From there you may push further if you like, building up to 31 minutes.
Advanced Third Eye Chakra Meditation Technique:
- If you are comfortable with the above technique, and are ready for a greater challenge then apply Shambhavi Mudra throughout the practice to enhance the affect on the Ajna Chakra. Shambhavi Mudra is applied by keeping the head straight, eyes closed, but turning the eyeballs upwards such that you are trying to look through the center of the forehead. If you do apply Shambhavi Mudra, please do not strain the eyes and release it if the eyes tire, while continuing with the rest of the meditation.