Test Your Spirituality
A few months ago I had written the popular post Test to Determine Your Spiritual Growth, which provided a simple technique with which to determine your spiritual state and progress. This article, however, is going to provide a far more comprehensive and challenging test to determine your level of spiritual evolution. This 9 day program is actually designed to destroy Karma and is considered one of the greatest programs to accomplish that, but, another way to approach this program is to see it as a true test of your spiritual progress.
This test emerges from the South Indian Schools of Yoga and was designed by Maharishi Dr. Swami Gitananda Giri. I came upon it first in the Karma Manual written by Dr. Jonn Mumford. The official name for this spiritual test is Karma Shakta Kriya. Here is Dr. Mumford’s quote regarding the passing of this profound examination…
9 Days to Change Your Life: Karma Manual
Dr. Jonn Mumford
Chapter 12: 9 Day Karma Clearing Program
“If you can do this for nine days, you will experience nine days of amazing unconscious material – you will prevent Agami Karma (un-sprouted Karamic seeds) from being watered and converted to Prarabdha Karma (sprouted unavoidable Karmic consequences). Best of all you will emerge, like a butterfly from a cocoon, a more powerful, sensitive, insightful human with an increased sense of purpose, destiny, self-mastery, and satisfaction!“
Need I say more? A word of advice though. This test is not easy! It is rare that anyone is able to pass it perfectly. I challenge you to take it if you feel ready. I will start it myself in the near future and maintain it for the 9 days required. I will record my progress in the comment section below and invite you to do the same if you like.
9 Day Test of Your Spiritual Evolution (aka: 9 Day Karma Clearing Program)
The test comprises of the following 11 disciplines to be done daily for each of the 9 days. My version is only slightly different from the original.
1. No media news input for the entire 9 days: Take a break from global gossip.
- No newspapers
- No internet news
- No radio
- For Television see #2 below
2. No Television of any kind: Take a break from staring at the box and escaping from yourself and your life.
3. No communication of dissatisfaction: You may do anything you wish to try to bring about the changes you need to, but, you may not express any dissatisfaction regarding any aspect of your life during these 9 days.
4. No Criticism of any kind: Very similar to discipline #3 is this requirement – no criticizing anything… person, object or activity.
5. Witness Thoughts & Actions: This will actually start to happen naturally as a consequence of the above disciplines (which build up immense psychic pressure). Don’t allow anything to happen without awareness. Many articles on this website explain this art of witnessing in greater detail. To read more about it you are check out The True Meaning of Laziness.
6. Wake up Earlier: You are to wake up 1 hour earlier than you normally do. To help you with that and understand its benefits you can read the following article The Secret of How to Become an Early Riser.
7. One Major Meal Only: This requirement in conjunction with the above disciplines is designed to cause deep seated emotions to surface, thus giving you a rare chance to observe deeper aspects of your being. This one meal should also only be a vegetarian meal.
8. Daily Mediatation: Meditate everyday for minimum of 20 minutes between dawn and dusk. I suggest choosing Zen Meditation Technique, Ajna Chakra Meditation Technique or So Hum Meditation Technique all of which are available on this website.
9. Do Something That you Dislike: The important aspect of this discipline is that the activity which you pick to do, is not just something you dislike, but, is also something that is not essential for you to do. This will help you build willpower.
10. Selfless Act: The act of kindness should be done without anyone having any knowledge of the source. So you are not getting any overt credit for your goodness.
11. Review & Recall: Review your day entire either backwards or forwards and pay special attention to emotional situations and decisions you made. Study yourself in this way and reflect on the actions you took. See where you would have done things differently had you applied your higher self. This activity is item #7 in the article 10 Things Your Should Do Everyday for a Happy, Meaningful and Good life, which you will find has many of the elements that are also a part of this test. In fact, once you take this test you will incorporate many of these disciplines into your daily life and find you are meeting most of the requirements set out to help have a Happy, Meaningful & Good life.
Conclusion: This test is a real opportunity for you to not just evaluate your spiritual prowess, but, also to make incredible progress on the spiritual path. Often we end up just reading about things, this test is a chance to really act and do something very unique and beneficial. So take up my challenge and go for it. I want to wish you the very best on this 9 day adventure of yours.
Feel free to post your experiences with this test in the comments section below, I think that would help and inspire others trying this difficult test as well.