Simple Yoga Move
Some Kundalini Yoga sets are seriously tough. They are physically and mentally challenging, requiring both, a sound body and mind, to do well. But, thankfully, often in such difficult sets are yoga moves that are easy to do and thus offer an opportunity to recover a little. The exercise I am going to detail in this article, is one such exercise, which is easy to do, makes one feel good and has some very useful benefits as well.
Although the advanced routines I would not suggest for beginners, this yoga move is certainly one that most everyone will be able to do. So if are just beginning yoga, no need to worry, this exercise will be fine for you to do as well. The pose is also suitable for seniors and children to practice.
There are some variations to this move and you will find those detailed in the practice section of this article below. Do try them, as they allow you to accent the stretch nicely.
More Yoga Moves and Stretches:
For those who are new to this website, you will find more yoga techniques in the Hatha Yoga Poses collection which you will find here and the Kundalini Yoga Exercises collection which you will find here. All new exercises are added to those collections, so you can easily locate yoga poses and moves you wish to practice there.
For Yoga and Meditation Certification Course Students:
For students enrolled in the Yoga Teacher’s Training and Meditation Certification Program, go ahead and include this exercise into your routines and classes. Your students will enjoy it, especially if you have a lot of newbies or beginner yogis.
Easy Yoga Hip Stretch
Below please find details of how to practice Easy Yoga Hip Stretch, along with illustrations, step-by-step instructions, benefits and practice tips.
Hip Stretch Illustrations
A. How to do Easy Yoga Hip Stretch:
- Start by sitting up with your back straight in rock pose.
Please your hands on your thighs, palms facing down and close your eyes. If doing this move with your eyes closed makes you dizzy, then you may do it with your eyes open as well. This is the starting position and is shown in Illustration #1 above.
- Now raise up and press your hips forward to create a good stretch when you reach the top. The ending posture is shown in Illustration #2. You should feel a good stretch in your abdominal area as well. Inhale as you are coming up and at the peak of the stretch hold your breath and accent the stretch for a few moments.
- Next exhale and come back down to the starting position. Continue the movement in this fashion, rising up and down. If it feels good you can hold the end position longer to really work the stretch.
- In the variation shown above in illustration #3 and illustration #4, you come up but lean to the left and then come back down, followed by coming up and leaning to the right. This helps you stretch each side of your back and hips and can be more satisfying.
- Start with 10 repetitions and work your way up to 26. From there you can go on and do even more. A set of 52 repetitions would be very effective in opening up your thighs and hips.
C. Hit Stretch Benefits:
- Helps to stretch and open up your hips.
- Helps stretch the thighs.
- Stretches and improves the flexibility of the lower back.
- Good exercise for relaxing and releasing tension.
D. Practice Tips Easy Yoga Hip Stretch:
- Really use your breath when doing this exercise. Expand and fill your lungs to capacity as you move up and exhale completely on the way down.
- Use this exercise in between sets and exercises which are taxing so give you some reprieve.
- Another nice variation to this exercise is to raise your arms up as you come up and lower your arms as you return to the starting position. With this variation you can do the leaning to the right and left as well to really stretch the sides of your back and torso as well.
PS: If you enjoy this yoga move, please do share it with your friends. I appreciate your support.