Today we will take a deeper look at the mysterious and powerful Siddhis – psychic powers which can arise due to yoga practice. Our regular contributor Richard will be the one taking us on this fascinating journey into the Siddhas.
Some of you might have read some of the other wonderful articles he has shared with us on Mastery of Mediation Yoga. If not here are some of those links for you to explore: Om Mantra Chanting, The Awakening of Kundalini and Energy Centers, Yoga Pranayama for Beginners, Three Different Buddhist Meditation Techniques, So Hum Mantra Meditation and Discover Real Tantra – It’s Far More Than Sacred Sex.
Richard is a meditation teacher and author, and you will find more information on the courses he offers on his website How to Meditate n Heal.
Psychic Powers – How You Can Get the Siddhis Safely
By Richard Crown
Siddhis are psychic powers, for example:
- Do you want abundance in your life?
- Do you want your Third Eye open and working?
These two powers are very attractive. The quest for them draws many people into meditation workshops. However, there are many more Siddhis.
In this article, you’ll discover the many different kinds and classes of Siddhis. Then I’ll give you some exercises that will grow your psychic abilities safely and naturally.
The Eight Primary Siddhis
- Anima Siddhi: You become able to be smaller than the smallest subatomic energy particle. You can go inside or through objects.
- Mahima Siddhi: You can be as large as the universe.
- Laghima Siddhi: You can become any frequency of light and travel in light.
- Prapti Siddhi: You can call any object forth from emptiness.
- Prakamya Siddhi: You can fulfill any desire you have.
- Ishita Siddhi: You can appear to defy the laws of nature by walking on fire or water, breathing fire etc.
- Vashita Siddhi: You can control other beings actions.
- Kamavasayita Siddhi: You can do anything. This highest of Siddhis contains most of the others.
Only highly skilled, advanced practitioners attain these primary Siddhis. Those who do have the higher Siddhis very seldom reveal their accomplishment.
Different writers sometimes include other Siddhis in this list, so expect to find variations.
The Ten Secondary Siddhis
- You are not bothered by thirst, hunger or other physical appetites.
- You can hear distant sounds and conversations.
- You can see distant events.
- You can travel to any location instantly, just by thinking of the spot.
- You can become any shape or being you want.
- You can enter anyone’s body anytime you want.
- You can choose when you will die.
- You can watch the activities of beings in other realms or dimensions.
- Any event you desire to happen will happen.
- Your spoken words become reality.
These secondary Siddhis come to many in the natural course of their Spiritual growth.
The Five Inferior Siddhis
- You can know the future, present and past.
- You are unaffected by dualities like cold and heat.
- You can know the thoughts of others.
- You can stop the effects of water, fire and poison.
- You cannot be conquered by others.
The inferior Siddhis are relatively common. Many people can use one or more of them.
Ways to Open Your Psychic Abilities
By far the best way to gain psychic powers is to allow them to develop in you naturally as a result of your personal Spiritual practice. It’s far better to use your precious time and energy to grow Spiritually rather than to squander your limited resources chasing powers that you may never realize.
The story is told in India about a man who wasted 20 years of devout, intense practice trying to learn how to walk on water and failed. 20 years of intense meditation could get you to Samadhi.
Attaining and using psychic powers is a huge trap. You must devote time and energy to getting the power. Then, when you have your power, using it grows your pride and ego, stifling true Spiritual progress.
Anmol Mehta writes clearly about this in his blog post The Right Way to Attain Psychic Powers.
So, please, grow a strong, daily meditation and yoga practice with the ultimate goal of Samadhi firmly in mind. Then, when you incorporate psychic development exercises into your practice, the insights you get will be the right ones.
Your psychic abilities will start giving you answers about yourself –about the best way for you to live and practice.
This is where the true value of psychic powers lies. You use them to advance your practice and to grow Spiritually.
Anmol demonstrates a technique to open your psychic powers in this video. Please, remember to practice it in the context of your greater goal to attain Samadhi.
Gentle Chakra Exercise
This chakra exercise will give you balanced growth.
Chanting each chakra’s sacred sound activates, cleanses and grows your chakras. They become able to process greater amounts of psychic energy. Siddhis come naturally.
General instructions and cautions.
The secret key to success is to vibrate your nose bone while chanting the sacred sounds. Send this vibration down to the chakra you’re working on. It’s this vibration that causes everything to happen.
So the first sacred sound, Lam, is pronounced Lammmmmmmmm… The first letters tell the vibration which chakra to go to while the vibration is created by the long mmmmmm…..
Always begin at the bottom with Mooladhara and work up.
Chant each chakra an equal number of times to keep growth balanced.
Never practice this laying down.
Immediately after doing the exercise, lay down in Savasana, the Yoga Death Pose, for 20 minutes to allow your chakras to cool and stabilize.
Step by step instructions
- Use an upright meditation posture.
- Use abdominal breathing.
- Focus your attention in red Mooladhara chakra.
- Gently and softly, chant Mooladhara’s sacred sound, Lam, 9 times while vibrating your nose bone.
- Go up to the next chakra and repeat, using that chakra’s sacred sound. The sacred sounds are listed next to each chakra in the right column of the chart below.
- When you’ve finished all 7 chakras, lay down in Savasana for 20 minutes.
Raising your Kundalini regularly may be the quickest way to activate your psychic abilities. Golden Kundalini energy floods your chakras, nadhis and aura. You benefit 3 ways.
- You get vastly increased energy levels for daily living.
- Your entire energy system grows and expands. You become able to process more psychic energy. Abilities awaken.
- Your Samskaras (blocks, veils) get released fast. These issues are what’s blocking your psychic development.
The Samskaras are:
- Past life karmas
- Stored emotions
- Past traumatic incidents
- False concepts and beliefs
As these issues release, you’ll have to heal them as you become aware of them.
You’ll find that the services of a good meditation teacher are extremely valuable during your process of self-healing and growth. Your teacher will know how to deal with each issue as it arises.
You can have the Siddhis –especially the lesser ones. The safe way to get them is to allow them to come naturally –as part of your overall Spiritual growth that’s taking you to the ultimate goal of Samadhi.
About Richard Crown
Born 60 years ago in California, Richard has lived in Asia for 35 years. He teaches Kundalini and meditation courses via Skype. Richard travels constantly about South Asia. You can read more about him, take a free meditation course, download a free Ebook and watch videos on his blog How to Meditate n Heal. Have a look now!