Yoga for Abs
For training your abs, there are 2 great sets currently on the website, Core Abdominal Power Yoga Set and the Terrific Yoga Ab Exercises and Workout for Shaping Stomach, and today I will give a pure Kundalini Yoga exercise to supplement these sets and help you max out your ab workout. At first glace, this particular technique may not appear be a great ab training tool, but if done correctly, it is quite effective in helping you tone and strengthen your stomach muscles and core.
The great part of this technique is that it is very different from your usual abdominal exercises and I have found many students, specially the ones with a creative and artistic side, really enjoy doing it. This exercise, like Kapalbhati Pranayama, works your abs by the pumping motion it incorporates, but unlike most other exercises, it uses sound power to further accent the effect.
That’s the reason I titled this article, pure yoga technique. It is because this technique uses a mantra to help you work your core. That’s right, a mantra for abdominal training . This technique uses the sound "HAR" or "HARRRRR", which rhymes with "BURRRR", and which is considered a sound for awakening the Navel Chakra and is associated with the stomach and abdominal region. Just go ahead and make this sound powerfully now, and immediately you will feel your abdominal muscles going to work. I call this technique Abdominal Training with Yogic HAR.
Details of how to do this exercise are in the practice section below. Abdominal Training with Yogic HAR will be added to our free ongoing yoga exercises e-book, which you can find here: Online Kundalini Yoga Exercises e-book. In addition, be on the lookout for yoga sets incorporating this exercise in the near future here: Free Online Kundalini Yoga Sets. Also, be sure to check out the Free Online Yoga Classes that we already offer on the website.
At the bottom of this article I have provided some more pure yoga exercises for abdominal training, so be sure to check those out as well. As always, please follow the guidelines for yoga I have laid out in the following articles…
Abdominal Training with HAR
Illustrations for Abdominal Training with HAR
Illustration #2 – Side View of Technique
Abdominal Training with Yogic HAR:
A. How to Do this Pure Yoga Technique:
- Here is an exercise which is going to work your abs, without a lot of movement . Sit up straight with your legs crossed or sit on your heels. You can also sit on a chair for this technique. Just make sure your back and spine are straight.
- Next, interlace your fingers and extend your arms straight out as I have shown in the illustrations above.
- Now take a deep breath and chant out loud with POWER. HAR HAR HAR HAR (Very Fast) (Pause Slightly) HAR HAR HAR HAR (Very Fast) (Pause Slightly) HARRR HARRR HARRR (slow). So you will say out loud, with power 4 times HAR HAR HAR HAR very fast, then again after a slight pause HAR HAR HAR HAR very fast, and then after a slight pause say HARRRR HARRR HARRR 3 times, with each of these HARRRs slow and with emphasis. In addition, with each HAR you will consciously pull your stomach wall back towards your spine (pump your stomach/suck it in).
For the fast HAR HAR HAR HARs you will only be able to pump your stomach lightly, but for each of the slow 3 HARRRs pump your stomach with FORCE.
You can say the HARs as loud as you want. Don’t wake the neighbors .
- Take deep breaths whenever you need to, and also take a break when you need to. See how the sound HAR explodes from the ab region.
- If you are doing it correctly you will start to feel your ab muscles burn and fatigue in due course. Continue on for the duration of the exercise.
B. Duration for Ab Training with HAR: 30 seconds – 11 minutes.
C. Benefits of Pure Yoga HAR Ab Exercise:
- Good technique for training your abs and strengthening your core.
- Balances and awakens the Navel Chakra (Manipura Chakra).
- Build willpower and strength of character.
- Helps the respiratory system.
- Increases energy and gives vitality and vigor.
D. Practice Tips and Cautions for Abdominal Training with Yogic HAR:
- For this technique to be successful some intensity is needed from your side. So don’t be shy when practicing the chanting and really let the sound HARRR HARRR HARRR, explode from your tummy.
- For those looking to do Third Chakra work, this is an excellent exercise for you.
- Doing this in a group or a yoga class is a lot of fun, so be sure to try it in class if you are a teacher.
- Kids love this exercise so do it with them too.
- This exercise is something you can add to the end of the abdominal sets you do.
More Pure Yoga Ab Exercises:
In addition to Yogic HAR for Abdominal and Core Power, there are several other exercises from yoga which are great for ab training and below are 3 more for you to enjoy and benefit from…