Summary: A simple yet effective relaxation meditation technique from the ageless wisdom of Kundalini Yoga to help you reduce stress, dissolve anger and find peace and tranquility within.
Relaxation Meditation Technique for Stress Reduction
Free Guided Meditation Book for Daily Practice – Chapter 7
Video of Relaxation Meditation Techinque
Background of Relaxation Meditation Technique for Stress Reduction:
This relaxation meditation technique was taught to me by Ravi Singh during my teacher’s training program without much fan fare I recall. It was presented in one of the 8 hour long Kundalini Yoga classes and I immediately took a liking to it (yes you read that right about the 8 hour long Kundalini Yoga classes during the teacher’s training program! :-).
As far as relaxation meditation techniques go, this one is very simple. There are no mantras to chant, no imaginary places to visualize and visit, no self hypnosis, no elaborate Yoga Nidra scripts to follow for releasing muscle tension, none on that. All that is required is a simple Yoga pose and your breath. Don’t get me wrong here, soothing mantra meditations, peaceful visualizations and conscious body relaxation are very effective meditation techniques for relaxation, anger management and stress management, it’s just that the beauty of this technique, which caught my attention, lies in its simplicity.
Tools for Relaxation Meditation Technique for Stress Reduction:
- If you are alive and breathing you can practice this meditation.
Benefits of Relaxation Meditation Technique for Stress Reduction:
- Promotes mental and emotional relaxation, peace and tranquility.
- Reduces stress.
- Dissolves anger and irritation.
- Promotes calmness and harmony.
- Improves the respiratory system.
- Promotes health, wellbeing and longevity.
Cautions for Relaxation Meditation Technique for Stress Reduction:
This meditation technique might turn you into a Saint, please be fore warned :-).
Guided Relaxation Meditation Technique for Stress Reduction:
- Sit up in any comfortable relaxed position, preferably with the spine straight.
- Bring your gently hands into prayer pose or Namaste Yoga pose in the following way. Have your upper arms along and touching the sides of your ribs such that your elbows are near your lower ribs. Have your palms together (like in prayer) and have them 6-12 inches away from your chest. Cup your hands slightly so the palms are not touching and allow a small space between your thumbs. The thumb tips though are touching, it’s just there should be a small gap between your thumbs leading into the space between your slightly cupped palms.
- Have your eyes 1/10th open looking down.
- Take 5 long deep breaths through the nose and then move on to the next step.
- Now breathe in deeply through the nose and breathe out slowly through the mouth aiming your breath at the gap between your thumbs. As the cool air hits your thumbs and enters the space between your palms you should start to feel tremendous calm and relaxation wash over you. Anger and stress should simply start to dissolve and you should start to feel mentally and emotionally tranquil and peaceful. The cool gentle air along with the posture are the keys to the effectiveness of this simple relaxation meditation technique.
- Continue the meditation by breathing in deeply though the nose and slowly out the mouth into your hands as long as you wish or until all the anger, stress, irritation and/or tension is completely dissolved.
Meditation tips for Relaxation Meditation Technique for Stress Reduction:
- You may try this meditation technique with your eyes closed as well, if you find that works better for you.
- You should adjust the distance your hands are away from your chest by ensuring that when you breathe out the air is cooing the inside of your palms.
That concludes the Relaxation Meditation Technique for Stress Reduction.
Internet Resources to help with Relaxation, Stress Management & Anger Management: