Kundalini Awakening Raja Yoga Set: Free Book of Kundalini Yoga Poses & Kriyas
Kundalini Yoga Kriya #5 – Kundalini Awakening Raja Yoga Set
Background and Design of Kundalini Awakening Raja Yoga Kriya:
This Kundalini Yoga Kriya hails from the Regal path of Yoga — Raja Yoga. It is a powerful kriya (set) and you should approach it with respect and intelligence. The kriya uses the combined power of breath control (pranayama), specifically suspension of breath, in conjunction with Body Locks (Bandhas) to awaken and channel Kundalini Shakti (energy) from the lower centers (chakras) to the higher ones. You should practice this set by using the modifications provided and move to the more advanced techniques only after mastering and feeling physically comfortable with the easier versions.
This kundalini yoga kriya, uses all three bandhas — root lock (mula bandha), abdominal lock (uddiyana bandha) and neck lock (jalandhara bandha) — to propel kundalini from one chakra to the next is sequence. The energy is brought first to the lower chakras (root, sex, naval) activating them, then moved to the heart chakra and throat chakra, and finally to the 3rd eye and crown chakra.
Benefits of Kundalini Awakening Raja Yoga Kriya:
As Kundalini is channeled upwards, the organs, glands and nerve junctions along the path are targeted with energy and their functioning rejuvenated and improved. Although this set helps the digestive, respiratory and circulatory systems, it is especially effective in strengthening your nervous system. Furthermore, this set helps bring energy into the brain region promoting greater power of awareness and intelligence.
Description of Kundalini Awakening Raja Yoga Kriya:
The following 3 body locks will be used in the practice of this kundalini yoga kriya so I will describe them first and then provide the details for the set.
Root Lock (Mula Bandha): To apply root lock you should contract the rectum, sex organ and naval (lower abdominal region) by pulling these 3 muscle groups up and in.
Abdominal Lock (Uddiyana Bandha): To apply abdominal lock (also called diaphragm lock) you should pull the abdominal muscles up and in under the rib cage.
Neck Lock (Jalandhara Bandha): To apply neck lock draw your chin back and slightly down (like a soldier at attention) creating tension in the back of the neck and causing a compression of the throat region.
Triple Lock (Maha Bandha): Maha Bandha is when all 3 locks above are applied together.
There are some variations to the locks described above, but for this set they should be applied as described.
Beginners version of Kundalini Awakening Raja Yoga Kriya:
- Sit up straight with your legs crossed (sukh asana). You can sit on a chair as well, but sukh asana is preferred.
- Hold onto your knees with your hands. This is called Drona Mudra.
- Inhale deeply, then exhale and while holding your breath Out, apply and release Root Lock 1 time(s).
- Now inhale, then exhale and while holding your breath out, apply and release Root Lock plus Abdominal Lock 1 time(s). So apply both locks together and release them together, not one at a time.
- Now inhale, then exhale and while holding your breath out, apply and release Root Lock, plus Abdominal Lock, plus Neck Lock 1 time(s).
- Inhale, then exhale and repeat the entire cycle increasing the count by 1 to 2, 3, 4… up to 8. So for each count you will do just Root Lock, then Root Lock + Abdominal Lock, then Root Lock + Abdominal Lock + Neck Lock.
- Once you finish the 8 count, inhale and interlace your fingers having the index finger pointing upward. They raise your arms straight up such that the upper arms are hugging your ears. Now exhale again and while holding your breath out, apply Triple Lock (Maha Bandha). Hold Maha Bandha with breath held out while stretching up with your arms. At the same time visualize energy flowing up your spine from the base to the crown of your head. Hold as long as comfortable and then release.
- Relax on your back in Shav Asana (corpse pose) for 5 minutes.
Intermediate version of Kundalini Awakening Raja Yoga Kriya:
- All the steps are the same as the beginner version, except work from a count of 1 all the way to 12. In addition, apply Maha Bandha with extended arms and visualization 3 times. Each time holding with breath held out for as long as comfortable. Don’t forget to relax in shav asana at the end :-).
Advanced version of Kundalini Awakening Raja Yoga Kriya:
- All the steps are the same as the intermediate version, except work from a count of 1 all the way to 16. Again you will apply Maha Bandha 3 times at the end and relax afterwards.
Hints, Tips and Cautions for Kundalini Awakening Raja Yoga Kriya:
- Students very much liked this kriya during our Kundalini Yoga teacher’s training course, but at the same time this is the one kriya which has also created difficulty for students in my classes. So, take your time as you develop mastery over this set. Move ahead systematically. Any pranayama exercise that requires breath suspension should be approached with caution.
- Since this set is stirring Kundalini a little more directly, you should generally be in good health and good physical condition before undertaking its practice.
This concludes the Kundalini Awakening Raja Yoga Kriya.
is there a link to download the free ebook, having some trouble finding it, thanks
Once Kundalini is awakened, is there anything “Interesting” you can use it for? Perhaps you should include a section of this topic.
Mooladhar chakra is situated in the centre of perinium-between genitals and anus. When mooladhar chakra is contracted, perinuum divides in half, and the dome shaape tip goes in and up.To do this one has to bring pubicbone near the tailbone.this statement does require further eloberation. Please do describe. thanks.
Do you have a video version of this exercise? I did well with the other two parts bc of the video clips with them. I am a visual learner. If so, could I please have the link. Your website is awesome by the way. I am enjoying looking at things. Thanks!
Just pulse the locks (contract and release) for this set. So you are only holding for a very brief time, few seconds max, per lock.
how long should i hold the lock?
This set primarily uses Bandhas (Body Locks), but an article detailing mudras is very overdue, so will certainly get to work on that. Be on the lookout for it in the near future.
Hi, A, I just would like to know the meanings of the mudras that are used and what their function is. I feel that I’m missing out on some important part of the meditation by not knowing what their function is and how I could use them to enhance my meditation. Are they used energetically to manipulate it. I would really love to know. The not knowing what, how or why has become a bit of a distraction, and I just want the full experience. Can you give me atleast a simplified version that I could grasp and use? I hope so. Talk to you soon. Bright Blessings….Angel
Dear Anmol , I would like to thank you for the kriyas and pranayams on this page and would like to tell others to take there time when starting a new one because ive come to learn (no pain , no gain) that headaches are going to be a big issue if they dont take there time. I know because im a big dear devil and had to learn a good lesson about rushing through them but I would like to tell those that give up on the first sign of pain to take your time and as you progress the effects will minimize> 1 LOVE
Yes this is a very powerful technique as well. You can add it to your program. Just ensure that you are not over straining as you are doing many very powerful techniques. If things start happening too fast, then please slow down your practice a little.
Pls advice which is the best practice to follow during pramayama.Now i am staring the pramayama with aloom viloma & then doing prosperity meditation technique,then sudarshan kriya,then golden nugget kriya begineers set & ending.
Now i want to add some more powerful techniques.
Pls advice can i start with ajna chakra third eye meditation & continue as above.
You are absolutely right. This one set can produce almost immediate affects, in fact a whole wing of yoga is devoted to just the technique detailed in this article.
During my teacher’s training program, this set generated the most excitement. Having said that, I am very careful when I teach this set, as it has to be approached gently and capacity developed slowly. I have noticed that too much too fast can’t be handled well.
Thanks for you insightful feedback.
I dont think people understand how powerful this kriya is until they master it…lol
The locks are held and released with the breath held out for the entire time.
So you will hold your breath out and apply and repeat the locks for as many times as required. You will start with 1 repetition with breath held out. Then do 2 repetitions with breath held out, and on till you do the maximum number for your level with breath held out.
Don’t over strain or move up too quickly. Let me know if this clarifies it.
Will you pl clear it while I apply each lock how long should I hold the breath out?