Benefits of Meditation for Young People
Benefits of Meditation for Students
Have kids in school? Specially kids in high school? Are you a student in school, high school or college and wondering if meditation will benefit you? Well wonder no longer, meditation is absolutely fantastic for young people and in this article I want to discuss some very interesting research that was conducted on this very topic; benefits of meditation for young people and students.
The study originally was intended to determine the affect of meditation on blood pressure. Students with high blood pressure were taught meditation and another group, with high blood pressure, were taught how to lower blood pressure, but not taught meditation. The results were emphatic and clearly demonstrated that meditation significantly reduced blood pressure in all situations.
This study was then expanded to measure the affects of meditation on other aspects of student life, and young people from six different schools were included in the new study. Here are the findings of this research.
10 Amazing Benefits of Meditation for Students:
- Improved Concentration: Students were able to concentrate better and had more mental focus.
- Reduced Blood Pressure: This reduction in blood pressure was regardless of whether the students were facing a stressful situation, like an examination, or not.
- Decreased Absenteeism & Tardiness: In addition, meditation also reduced behavior problems.
- Better Grades: Students felt they were doing better with their homework and school work as well.
- Improved Interpersonal Relationships: This included relationships at home, such as with siblings and parents.
- More Confidence: One of the most important qualities to develop for children, students and young adults.
- Better Sleep: The importance of proper sleep in being understood more and more in today’s hectic sleep deprived world.
- Headache Relief: Always a good thing .
- Calmness: Same as blood pressure above, it helped the students who learned meditation remain calm even during stressful times. This is important in all aspects of life I feel. In sports, interviews, tests and the other challenging situations life inevitably brings forth, remaining calm is the key to success, health and happy living.
- Sharper Brains: I have often alluded to meditation helping the brain function better. This and other research that looks at brain imaging, etc, is now validating this point as well.
How Much Meditation is Needed:
The next logical question is how much meditation is needed in order to obtain these benefits. The answer is as little as 10-15 minutes, 2 times per day was the amount of meditation practiced by the students during the study. Certainly worth the time, given the enormous benefits one gets.
What Kind of Meditation is Needed:
Simple meditation to quiet the mind was all that was used during this study. So I would suggest using Zen Meditation Technique for that. Another suggestion would be using the structure and meditations given in the Beginner’s Meditation Class | Learn How to Meditate.
Here is the link to the original article with the details of the study: Meditation Benefits Abound for Schoolchildren, Study Finds.
Finally, it is most important to remember that mediation ultimately leads you to Self-realization. Awakens you to your divine, infinite nature. What can possibly be more important than getting a head start on that journey during your younger days?
Article Series - Yoga & Meditation Health Benefits & Success Stories
- True Success Stories of the Enormous Health Benefits of Kundalini Yoga & Meditation
- Inspiring Yoga & Pranayama Testimonials from Online Yogis
- Kundalini Yoga for Self-Confidence & Willpower - Your Testimonials
- Benefits of Kundalini Yoga Techniques - Your True Stories
- Study Finds Amazing Benefits of Meditation for Young People & Students
- Benefits of Yoga, Your Stories | Diseases, Depression, Stress, Weight Loss & More Benefited
- Benefits of Yoga | Yoga Weight Loss, Depression, Migraines, Smoking & Other Stories
- Amazing Pranayama Benefits - Your True Stories
- Yoga Works | Your Wonderful Yoga Success Stories
- Amazing Yoga Testimonials - Spiritual Yoga Experiences - Your True Stories
- Huge Study Shows Yoga Therapy Helpful as Cancer Treatment
- Do Yoga for Happiness | Brain Yoga Research Confirms
- Yoga Successful for Treating Pain and Fatigue Symptoms of Fibromyalgia
- Meditation Technique for Pain Management