Breath Control & Yoga Pranayama Book – Breath of Fire Breathing Exercise – Ch 1
Breath of Fire Kundalini Yoga Pranayama
Yoga Breathing Exercise #1: The Breath of Fire
Free Online Yoga Video of Breath of Fire
Video is from the article: Breath of Fire Video – Free Online Yoga Videos
What Is The Breath of Fire Kundalini Yoga Pranayama:
The first Yoga breathing exercise we will explore lies at the heart of Kundalini Yoga practice, it is the legendary Breath of Fire Yoga Pranayama.
As mentioned above this breathing exercise is absolutely essential to the practice of Kundalini Yoga. The roots of this pranayama are impossible to trace but I would like to thank my teacher Ravi Singh under whose expert guidance I learned this technique.
Tools Required for Breath of Fire Kundalini Yoga Pranayama:
Just your nose :-D.
Benefits of Breath of Fire Kundalini Yoga Pranayama:
- Quickly oxygenates your blood, thus helping the body detoxify itself and remove waste more effectively.
- Builds lung capacity and helps purify the respiratory system.
- Generates heat and increases your level of energy by activating the energy flows in your body.
- Syncronizes your entire system under one rhythm, thus promoting greater internal harmony and health.
- Balances and strengthens the Nervous System.
- Magnifies the benefits of exercises done in conjunction with this breath.
- When done forcefully, the pulsating of the diaphragm massages the internal organs, thus improving the digestive system.
Cautions for Practicing Breath of Fire Kundalini Yoga Pranayama:
- If you feel dizzy when practicing Breath of Fire, you should stop and substitute normal breathing. If you suffer from vertigo, you should use caution in practicing this breathing exercise.
- If you are menstruating you should not practice Breath of Fire, use Long Deep Breathing instead.
- You should be careful practicing Breath of Fire if you have high blood pressure, heart disease or suffer from stroke or epilepsy. Also, if you have acid or heat related gastric issues such as ulcers you should use caution.
How To Do Basic Breath of Fire Kundalini Yoga Pranayama:
- To practice this breathing exercise sit up in a comfortable position.
- Elongate your spine upwards, lengthen your neck and subtly bring your chin back and in like a soldier at attention. This will align the spine with the back of your head.
- Close your eyes.
- Rest your hands in any comfortable position.
- Relax your stomach muscles.
- Now begin to breathe rapidly through the nose with equal emphasis on the inhalation and exhalation. It will be like very fast sniffing. Keep the breath shallow, just at the tip of the nose. Proceed at a comfortable pace and establish a steady rhythm. Pay no special attention to the chest or diaphragm other that staying relaxed. You will find the stomach pulses on its own in rhythm to the breath. That’s it, continue for 1 minute.
How To Do Intermediate Breath of Fire Kundalini Yoga Pranayama:
- Perform the breathing at a faster pace.
- Increase the duration of the exercise to 3 minutes
How To Do Advanced Breath of Fire Kundalini Yoga Pranayama:
- Build up the pace and power with which you do the breathing.
- Build up the time for this pranayama to 11 minutes.
Secret of Breath of Fire Kundalini Yoga Pranayama:
So the trick question is, “How many breaths are you taking when doing the breath of fire yoga pranayama”? This will be of some special concern to those who believe in the idea that each of us is born with a preset number of breaths and once we finish our quota – the fat lady sings. So for those folks it would be rather alarming to practice this exercise regularly, as they would be drastically reducing their life span – but, thankfully they need not worry. The beauty of this breathing exercise, aside from its lengthy list of benefits, is that it registers to the brain as only 1 breath. So put your worries aside and enjoy the practice of this pranayama which I have found to be one of the real gems of Kundalini Yoga.
Very good 😍😍💙
It’s a precious treasure.
Thank you Mr.Mehta,
Your website is a gift to the world!
thank you ,
Great way to begin class after a spinal warm up, and to end the class before corps pose!
Nice … ……………
Hi Mr Mehta,
I just subscribed to your channel and love your knowledgeable instructions!
I have been wrestling with this for a while (as a off and on student of yoga)
I think the ancient gurus clearly were a littlle closed minded on instructing everyday people that have distortions in postures (and it sometimes gets me a little ticked off with cliche
Instruction by average yoga teachers)
When you are trying to compensate for holding a posture (like myself with lordosis posture:
tight low back, weak upper back, rounded shoulders, weak core, slight protruding neck) it can feel VERY un natural because your attention is oscillating back and forth between worrying that you are best form and the discomfort that it honestly takes away from pranayama or yoga pose you are trying to do.
So, is it logical to say that you should work on corrective yoga and posture strengthening exercises to reduce the anxiety and discomfort of postures first..to a greater degree?
For instance i wonder when doing “full yogic breath”, and sitting meditations and such… is it exaggerated on this Super straight emphasis always stated.
Or is that outdated ancient extremism?
I could be wrong but it seems so.
And we should use common sense that “relative comfort ” like being straight as possible
like sitting with back against chair?
Currently i do lying down relaxation, pranayam of full breath, meditation and diaphragm breathing as a alternative. Because even the “sitting up at edge of chair” with back straight recommendation is not comfortable either…at all :-(
I really need your opinion as a expert in this area
Thanks so much for reading! :)
why don’t you jump in the water before doing breathing pranayama or yoga postures?
Please can you let me know when can i perform Breath of fire. Does it have to be done after Bhrastika/Kapalbhati? Is there a sequence i need to follow? Regards, Naveen.
Hi .Does it matter if you take a slight swallow during doing Breath of fire ,and also can it reverse certain conditions , such as heart disease?
Can you explain why this is not recommended during menstruation?
I would like to know why not to use breath of fire during meditation too! Thank you!
How i download free vidio..plz.