Advanced Kundalini Yoga Technique to Awaken Kundalini
Advanced Kundalini Yoga Technique
Kundalini Awakening Technique
An important aspect of dealing with Kundalini Shakti (energy) is to concentrate your efforts on the purification and strengthening of your systems and nadis (energy channels), and not prematurely use direct methods to awaken Kundalini. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Kundalini Shakti and Kundalini Yoga, you may want to first read the following 2 articles: Introduction to the Science of Kundalini Yoga & Kundalini Yoga’s Seven Chakra System Overview.
Having said the above, there are techniques, of course, that allow you to stir and awaken Kundalini directly, and rise up from the state of pure potentiality in which she resides at the base of the spine. In this article I will present such a technique, but it should not be used in isolation. It is though a valuable technique to learn and employ as part of a complete Kundalini Yoga practice. Especially if your practice has matured to a certain degree, and you have developed a strong body and nervous system as a result of it.
It has been some time since I acknowledged on the website the sources of my Kundalini Yoga knowledge, so before I proceed I would like to mention that these techniques were taught to me by Ravi Singh, who was a student of Yogi Bhajan. My deepest gratitude to both of them for sharing this priceless wisdom with all of us.
This particular exercise will be part of the following 3 free e-books here on Mastery of Meditation, as it is a Kundalini Yoga exercise, a type of meditation, as well as a yoga breathing technique: Online Kundalini Yoga Exercises, Free Yoga Breathing Exercises E-book & Free Online Guided Meditation Techniques E-book.
This kundalini yoga technique is actually a form of advanced pranayama (yogic science of breath control), and to perform it successfully, requires an understanding of prana (life-force) and how it functions within your body.
Within the energetic body (aka: psychic body/astral body/pranamaya kosha), 5 distinct types of prana are at work; prana, apana, samana, udana and vyana. Of these 5 types, the 2 most important are prana and apana. Please note that by prana here (and going forward) I am referring to the subtype and not the overall life force, which is also called prana.
Prana works in the region from the neck down to the diaphragm and is an upward moving force, while apana works form the navel down and is a downward moving force. This pranayama is designed to reverse the direction of apana and move it upwards to the level of the solar plexus, while at the same time move prana down, such that they both mix in the stomach region. This mixing then creates the spark which ignites kundalini and causes her to awaken and rise up the shushumna (central psychic channel).
More specifically, those familiar with the chakra system, will note that we are moving apana into the region of the manipura chakra, which is governed by fire. This elongates the flame, so to speak, which is then stoked by the now downward moving prana. Creating the necessary heat to awaken kundalini.
Advanced Yoga Technique to Awaken Kundalini
Illustration #1 Advanced Kundalini Awakening Technique
Illustration #2 Advanced Kundalini Awakening Technique
Advanced Yoga Technique to Awaken Kundalini:
a. Instructions for practicing Yoga Technique to Awaken Kundalini:
- Sit in any comfortable cross legged posture. You can sit on a chair if necessary. Keep your back and spine straight, and chin pulled back and tucked in slightly like a soldier at attention (variation of Jalandhara Bandha or neck lock)
- As illustrated above, raise your arms up to shoulder level. Bend the elbows up at 90 degrees and then have the palms facing backwards, again making a ninety degree angle with your wrists. The fingers are all extended.
- Inhale deeply and hold your breath in (Antar Kumbhaka). Keep the breath held in and relax your stomach. Now visualize prana vayu (wind) moving downward towards the solar plexus, while apana vayu moving up towards the solar plexus. Visualize them mixing in that region, while keeping your breath held in during this time. Do not over strain, and release your breath when required.
- After exhaling, inhale again and repeat the visualization. Continue this process for 3 rounds. Each round being one breath cycle (inhale – hold – visualize – exhale).
- After you complete your last cycle. Inhale, then exhale completely and with your breath held out apply root lock (mulabandha) for as long as you can. Root lock is the pulling up and in of the rectum, sex organ and lower abdominal muscles all at the same time.
b. Duration for Yoga Technique to Awaken Kundalini:
- Start with 3 rounds and build up from there. You can build upto 11 rounds or more.
c. Benefits of Yoga Technique to Awaken Kundalini:
- Creates the energy necessary to stimulate and awaken Kundalini Shakti. Leading her to rise up the shushumna.
- Develops your lung capacity and respiratory systems.
- Strengthens and opens up your shoulders and arms.
- Builds willpower and concentration.
d. Practice Tips for Yoga Technique to Awaken Kundalini:
- This meditation technique requires you to be familiar with the prana and apana vayus. Attending to your inhalation can help you understand prana vayu and attending to the bodily forces that push downwards (excretion, etc) can help familiarize you with apana vayu.
- You can also adopt the practice of the following variation of Mula Bandha, where you only contact and release the rectum muscle. In this case you are learning to turn apana vayu upwards and gain familiarity with it. You can practice applying and releasing mula bandha at any time during your sadhana or otherwise.
- You can practice with your hands down as well initially to develop other aspects of this meditative technique.
Online Kundalini Yoga Kriyas Using Kundaini Awakening Technique:
- This powerful kundalini yoga pranayama can be added to the beginning of any Kundalini Yoga Kriya. It is a good way to get your sadhana (spiritual practice) started.
I just started the Kundalini class this week, and I am finding hard to concentrate and learning the breath of fire techniques. Can you suggest any guidance as to what I can do to feel the energy. Everyone in the class can feel their own energy but I can’t.
I like only online free training of pranayama by your web site and I must say thanks to you and your team .
online free pranayama is the best web site i have got and must say thanks to you and your team for doing this programme.
thanks fr the knowledge of yoga you are spreading amoung the old and young generation. i want to know about a exercise wch done continuously or regularly and after certain period the body of a person starts having fragrance.
Yes this exercise should be done in conjunction with other practices to help awaken Kundalini. Anmol would not recommend doing it exclusively either.
All the best,
Dear Anmol, as you described in this article about creating a spark by visualizing prana and apana vayu in the region of solar plexus to awaken kundalini, I have a serious question, isn’t it going to take several years by this method to awaken and perfecten the kundalini shakti so that one would be able to rise her upto ajna and sahashrara chakra?
As described in Lalita-sahastranama, before reaching the first chakra, the kundalini has to cross through brahma grandhi, vishnu grandhi and Rudra grandhi. I have also read that when kundalini reaches brahma grandhi, a person can create bhasma out of thin air.Vishnu grandhi enables a person to multiply anything and rudra grandhi enables a person to create anything that he wishes from thin air. Kundalini is the immense power which is sleeping inside our body. Is this true? Could you share your knowledge on this?
I also heard. If u can find such a masters any where pls inform me. I like join as a student under them. I am also searching for such masters.
The miracles you mention should not be taken literally. My Kundalini got aroused and reached Sahasrara when I was 27 yrs. Now Iam 56 and still not seen any miracles you mention. Because of Kundalini energy arousal in my being, my understanding of life and death, Atman/ Paramatman has become very clear and I got many divine experiences. Kundalini arousal makes a man into a divine being. But donot look out for miracles to happen. Again each persons experience is not the same when it comes spirituality.
How long does it take usually to awaken kundalini with this technique?
Great to hear you have established a long-term practice and that you are reaping the benefits of that. Your feedback will be a great inspiration to many. Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts with us.
hi Anmol, I continue to use your techniques after 12 months and continue to benifit in many ways from their regular practice. I have been focussing solely on awakening my heart chaka and developing compassion for myself and others. The added benifit for me is that the kriyas help develop stamina and coordination in my drumming! Thank you so much for your simple and immensley helpful instrucion. I continue to learn from it. Best wishes Chris
Yes, healing others is certainly a power some acquire after Kundalini is Awakened, but it is not a guaranteed power.
I think after awakening kundalini I will be able to heal others also. Isn’t it ?
Thanks you for your feedback.
interesting post! i have to say, however, that i thinkn it’s important to be cautious around advanced kundalini techniques. they can be extremely powerful, and sometimes the energy is more than you can take.
speaking from experience here – i used to do yoga at yogi bhajan’s 3HO centre in toronto. of course it can also go the other way – a while ago i had a powerful experience using a pose to deal with depression.
yeah you literally raised these things.
Nice technique to strengthen your energy channels.
woot!! anmol, yea you raise that roof