Free Gayatri Mantra Video
Gayatri Meditation to Open Third Eye
There are many uses of the all powerful Gayatri Mantra, so you should certainly not be surprised that there is also a Gayatri Mantra Meditation, for helping to open the all important Third Eye Chakra. That is the technique which is detailed in this article and demonstrated in the Gaytri Mantra Meditation Video below.
This meditation will become part of our free online meditation series. It will be added to the Free Meditation for Daily Practice Videos collection and the Free Online Guided Meditation Techniques collection.
For Yoga and Meditation Certification Program Students:
For students enrolled in the Online Yoga Instructor Certification Program or Online Meditation Teacher’s Certification Program, this meditation is part of the bonus and optional material in your manuals. I will also be adding the video to the original Gayatri Mantra article which is linked to from your manuals as well (Yoga Training Manual –> Chapter 120. Meditation Training Manual –> Chapter 35).
Gayatri Mantra Meditation Video
Direct YouTube Link –> Gayatri Mantra for Opening the Third Eye
The Gayatri Mantra is considered the highest mantra of the Vedas (ancient Hindu sciptures). In the article Gayatri Mantra MP3 Download, you will find a free downloadable MP3 of the mantra as well as some free videos of the Gayatri Mantra chants. In addition, the Third Eye meditation I demonstrate and detail for you below, is also summarized in that article.
Here is the mantra used in the meditation and the translation:
Om Bhur Buvaha Svaha
Tat Savitur Varenyam
Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi
Dhiyo Yonaha Prachodayath
Gayatri Mantra English Translation
O Supreme Creator, Thou art the giver of life, the remover of pain and sorrow and the bestower of happiness; O Creator of the Universe, may we receive Thy supreme sin-destroying light; may Thou guide our intellect in the right direction.
Opening the Third Eye Chakra:
In this meditation, as I mentioned, I will be using the Gayatri Mantra to open the Third Eye Chakra. The Third Eye or Ajna Chakra is often considered the most important chakra, as it is the seat of intuition and wisdom. Thus opening this chakra point, gives you access to inner guidance, and communication with your Higher Self. This connection then allows you to know how best to proceed in your spiritual evolution.
For those interested in Psychic Abilities, opening the Third Eye is also the preferred path for the acquisition of such powers. If you are indeed interested in psychic powers, you will want to read the following guide: Free Psychic and Clairvoyant Powers and Abilities Development Guide.
For more information on the Third Eye and the Chakra system, please read: Kundalini Yoga Seven Chakra System Overview.
Below you will find full details of this meditation including benefits, step-by-step instructions, cautions, etc.
Benefits of Gayatri Mantra Meditation:
- Helps to Open and Balance the Third Eye Chakra.
- Increases intuitive abilities and psychic powers.
- Bestows peace and tranquility.
- Helps promote spiritual growth and inner communion.
- Builds concentration and mental focus.
How to Open Third Eye with Gayatri Mantra Meditation:
Below are the step-by-step instructions on how to do this meditation in order to open the Third Eye Chakra. These steps are also demonstrated in the meditation video.
- Sit in any cross legged posture. You can also do this meditation sitting on a chair.
- Elongate your spine and tuck your chin in slightly (like a soldier at attention). Bring your hands in Gyan mudra, which is to have the thumb tips and index finger meeting. Then, rest your wrists gently on your knees, with your palms facing slightly upwards.
- Close your eyes and turn them upwards such that you looking through the center of the forehead. This is Shambhavi mudra, and only hold it for as long as is comfortable. Release it whenever necessary and continue with the meditation, reapplying it when ready.
- Next begin to mentally chant the Gayatri Mantra, while visualizing it emanating out from the Third Eye Chakra Point.
- Continue to chant the mantra silently for the duration of the meditation in this way. You can do this meditation for as long as you like. Start with 3 minutes and build up from there.
Summary of Gayatri Mantra Meditation for Opening Third Eye:
As with all such powerful meditations, I suggest not to overdo it and build up your capacity slowly over time. There are many reports of the effectiveness of this meditation both in the spiritual literature and in the personal experience of people I know, so do this meditation with great respect and devotion. If you do acquire psychic powers as a result, please use them only for your spiritual growth or to help others.
Some of the other Third Eye Meditations on the website are listed below: